- Harvard Law School (J.D.)
- Bates College
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- American Bar Association
- Central District Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys Association
- Financial Lawyers Conference, Past President and Board
of Governors member
- Los Angeles County Bankruptcy Forum
- National Bankruptcy Conference, Secretary and Executive Committee member
- Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference, Lawyer Representative (C.D. Cal.)
Whitman L. Holt
Whitman L. Holt is a member of KTB&S.
Mr. Holt attended Bates College, where he received his B.A., magna cum laude, in 2002 and was elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa. He then attended Harvard Law School, where he received his J.D., cum laude, in 2005 and served as an Editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy.
Mr. Holt has represented clients across the bankruptcy spectrum. His work on the side of the debtor or the bankruptcy estate includes representing Fremont General Corporation and USA Discounters as chapter 11 debtors in possession, representing the liquidation trust formed in the Oakwood Homes bankruptcy, representing the chapter 7 trustee of IndyMac Bancorp, Inc., and serving as one of the primary lawyers in KTB&S's representation of Jefferson County, Alabama, in its chapter 9 case. His work on the creditor side includes representing significant debtholders in many of the nation's largest chapter 11 cases, including the Lehman Brothers, Washington Mutual, Enron, Calpine, and Owens Corning bankruptcies, as well as the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Momentive Performance Materials cases. Mr. Holt has also represented borrowers in and out of court, alleged debtors and petitioning creditors in involuntary bankruptcy cases, secured creditors in and out of bankruptcy, hedge and distressed debt funds, equity sponsors, plaintiffs and defendants in bankruptcy-related litigation, and purchasers of assets via chapter 11 plans and section 363 sales.
Mr. Holt has significant experience regarding various alternative insolvency regimes, including bank and thrift receiverships under title 12 of the U.S. Code and proceedings for troubled insurers under state law, and has successfully litigated tax refund ownership and other disputes against the FDIC. Mr. Holt's active bankruptcy-related appellate practice includes briefing multiple matters before the Supreme Court of the United States, including the prevailing merits brief in the landmark Stern v. Marshall case, as well as pro bono appellate work in several high-impact consumer bankruptcy cases.
Mr. Holt is the co-author (with Kenneth N. Klee) of Bankruptcy and the Supreme Court: 1801-2014 (West Academic 2015) and of a periodic series of commentaries about bankruptcy and the Supreme Court for the LexisNexis Emerging Issues Analysis project. Mr. Holt also is a contributing author to Collier on Bankruptcy, the nation's leading bankruptcy treatise.
Mr. Holt is a regular participant in educational seminars and panels regarding bankruptcy and commercial law. He has also guest lectured about bankruptcy and tax law at the UCLA, USC, and Loyola Law Schools. Mr. Holt's professional interests include the interface between credit derivatives and bankruptcy, the outer limits of federal bankruptcy jurisdiction and power, and methods of improving the economic efficiency of chapter 11.
Mr. Holt has consistently been recognized as one of the top bankruptcy and restructuring attorneys in California by Super Lawyers Magazine, Chambers USA, The Best Lawyers in America, and Who's Who Legal: Restructuring & Insolvency. In 2012, Mr. Holt was selected as a member of the inaugural class of delegates to the International Insolvency Institute's NextGen Leadership Program in Paris, France. In 2015, Mr. Holt was elected as a Conferee of the National Bankruptcy Conference, which is an invitation-only organization dedicated to advising Congress about the operation of bankruptcy and related laws and which is widely regarded as the most prestigious professional organization in the bankruptcy field; he currently serves as the NBC's Secretary and a member of its Executive Committee.
Mr. Holt is admitted to practice law before the U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Central, and Southern Districts of California, before the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second, Third, Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh Circuits, and before the Supreme Court of the United States.
- Super Lawyers Again Recognizes KTB&S Attorneys
- Whitman L. Holt Selected for ABI’s Inaugural “40 Under 40” List and as Ninth Circuit Judicial Conference Lawyer Representative
- Chambers USA Recognizes Klee, Tuchin, Bogdanoff & Stern LLP and its Attorneys with Top Ratings for 2017
- Whitman L. Holt Elected to Prestigious National Bankruptcy Conference
- Klee, Tuchin, Bogdanoff & Stern LLP Partners Complete New Bankruptcy and the Supreme Court Book
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Supreme Court's Holding in Lamar, Archer & Cofrin, LLP v. Appling
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Supreme Court's Holding in U.S. Bank National Association v. Village at Lakeridge, LLC
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Supreme Court's Holding in Merit Management Group, LP v. FTI Consulting, Inc.
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Supreme Court's Holding in Midland Funding v. Johnson
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Supreme Court's Holding in Czyzewski v. Jevic Holding Corp.
- Kenneth N. Klee and Whitman L. Holt on Judge Neil M. Gorsuch and Bankruptcy Law